Wednesday, March 14, 2012

fizz

I love soda. 

There is something about the fizz and possibly the fact that it’s bad for you.  What is it about liking something that’s bad for you?  I love large amounts of cheese, too much sugar in my coffee, and chips by the truck load, brownies, cookies….OK; I’ll stop….all of the aforementioned “goodies” are really terrible. 

Anyway, back to my topic; soda.  Would you like to know something unique about me?  I am very particular about what type of soda I drink.

Movies or Five Guys – Cherry Coke.  (I can’t explain the connection there.)
Sporting event, with a hot dog and nachos, of course – Coke.
Pizza – Pepsi.
Pei Wei – Sprite.
Moe’s (How’d Moe’s get in here?  I don’t even like Moe’s.) – Root Beer.
Chipotle (yum!) – Coke.
Fishing – Cream Soda or Black Cherry Soda.  (talk to Papa Monroe about this one.)
Just hanging out – Dr. Pepper.

Yeah, strange, I know. 

Recently, I’ve been trying to phase out of drinking-copious-amounts-of-soda.  However, sometimes I just need that kick.

So, I took my love for the fizz and meshed it with some of my heritage.

I give you The Minneola Italian Soda


I know this is not original and I could buy this drink at the grocery store, but I never feel like paying $5 for 2oz (exaggeration) and everything always tastes better when I make it from scratch!  Well, sometimes.

Minneola (any juice-able fruit you love will do) Italian Soda
2 Oranges
1-2 tablespoons Simple Syrup (see recipe below)
Seltzer Water
Ice

Simple Syrup
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Water
Mix Sugar and Water in a medium sauce pan.  Place pan on stove at medium heat.  Wait for mixture to come to a boil.  Once mixture reaches a boil and sugar looks like it has dissolved, take off the burner and let cool.  Store in the fridge, in an air tight container.  This normally lasts about a month!

Squeeze both oranges over a mesh strainer and drain the liquid into your glass.  Depending on your sweet tooth, mix 1-2 tablespoons of simple syrup with the orange juice.  Fill up the glass with ice and Seltzer Water.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. YUM that looks so good! Thanks for the recipe!


    P.S. I'm hosting a Shabby Apple giveaway, come enter!

    ReplyDelete